Introduction

Hi, my name is Kelly Rappé and I am journeying to the center on the earth.
Just kidding, I am going to Accra, Ghana to study abroad. I currently go to Hendrix College with an early childhood education major and a history minor.
My passions are sports (specifically Field Hockey and Track in college), traveling, reading, and discovering.
I am a Fort Collins, Colorado native and have enjoyed my time in the south thoroughly the past several years.
One of my best friends always says, "She's never afraid of going on another adventure."
Please check by biweekly to see how my experience abroad in Africa is.
I have only been abroad to Cuba, Canada, and Mexico, so this shall be a life changing experience.
I plan on reflecting, writing, posting pictures, and babbling about what is going on up in my noggin'. <3

Here is the clip for "A Whole New World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s
Kelly

Saturday, April 7, 2012

WITH EVERY HIGH, THERE IS A LOW

Early this week, once I came back from the Western Region, there seemed to be a bit of a problem with my stools. There were white chunks in them (sorry for the graffic description…I promise it will be over soon). So out of fear I went to a clinic to just get checked out. The odd thing was, I did not fee sick at all…at this point. So the doctor gave me some antibiotics and sent me on my way. I felt VERY PROUD because I did the ENTIRE HOSPITAL VISIT…ALL BY MYSELF. I took the pills reluctantly because I had to take two pills four times a day (six am, noon, six pm, and midnight). I was hopefully I would heal with easy because Katie, Emma, Avery, and I have been planning a trip to Togo and Benin for quiet some time. Other things seemed to delay our leaving…making it a Thursday instead of a Wednesday…but Thursday morning at 1:30 in the morning…I woke up in a rage of heat. I feverishly found my thermometer hidden in my dresser and took my temperature only to find that my temperature ranged from 100.2 to 100.5. Not able to make sense of my temperature, I called my parents back in the states asking them to make sense of these numbers through my painful sobs of heat confusion. My mom told me to go to the hospital tonight. I reluctantly woke up Emma, who was an AMAZING TROPPER! She held my hand the entire way. (THANK YOU EMMA!)

So the adventure that started around 1:00am ended at 5:00am…goodness! Oddly the hospital was faster in the dead of night…BECAUSE NOBODY IS THERE. I diagnosed with tonsillitis and a bacteria infection. BOOOOOOOO. I have never been this sick in the United States (sick 3 times in the course of two months). I added more antibiotics to my diet and for the next couple of days went in and out of sleeping eating, and trying to acknowledge other people’s existence.

If I have ever had a low…this was it. I found myself in tears over silly things…from not being able to eat solid food or wanting to just go home and have any type of food at my fingertips. Making it through made me realize how sensitive and fragile all our lives our. I am truly grateful for my support system in Ghana, in the United States, and across the world.

On a happy note, I will be seeing my sister in exactly 6 days! ☺ So hopefully my healing up is successful! ☺

1 comment:

  1. Girl!!!!! Stop it!!!! I told you you weren't allowed to get sick anymore!! But really, that sucks, and I'm sorry :( I just got over some sort of 24 hour bug myself. Feel better <333

    ReplyDelete