Introduction

Hi, my name is Kelly Rappé and I am journeying to the center on the earth.
Just kidding, I am going to Accra, Ghana to study abroad. I currently go to Hendrix College with an early childhood education major and a history minor.
My passions are sports (specifically Field Hockey and Track in college), traveling, reading, and discovering.
I am a Fort Collins, Colorado native and have enjoyed my time in the south thoroughly the past several years.
One of my best friends always says, "She's never afraid of going on another adventure."
Please check by biweekly to see how my experience abroad in Africa is.
I have only been abroad to Cuba, Canada, and Mexico, so this shall be a life changing experience.
I plan on reflecting, writing, posting pictures, and babbling about what is going on up in my noggin'. <3

Here is the clip for "A Whole New World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s
Kelly

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Aya Kama kama kama pa pa pa pa day ( A WONDERFUL FABULOUS DAY)

Hockey sur la gazon (field hockey) WITH THE MEN'S UNIVERSITY OF GHANA HOCKEY TEAM!

So as I was walking from a history class that did not happen because of the strike happening at University of Ghana...I was passing the field hockey field...and what do I see???? MEN WITH FIELD HOCKEY STICKS IN THEIR HANDS! I run over to them and ask if they played and if they were about to have practice. They DO PLAY HOCKEY...AND THEY WERE ABOUT TO PRACTICE. I convinced the coach to let me play...AND I DID! It was a very very EPIC EXPERIENCE!

The underestimated me at first putting me on a team that was clearly the better. I scored three goals in a row and then they realized THEY JUST FOUND AN OBRUNI GIRL (white girl) THAT WAS AS GOOD AS THEM! So they started to play as hard as they could against me...but I was still able to score a couple of goals. Then the coach switched up the teams so I was on the bad team to try to make it even.

I was having a blast. It has been several months since I've picked up a stick...IT WAS GLORIOUS! I remembered why I love field hockey so much. I scored a total of 10 goals that practice!

The coach approached me after and said if I appeared out of nowhere a week earlier he would have let me play with them when they go to Nigeria for some matches...they are leaving this Sunday. BUMMER! But he said there is a tournament in May he might be able to take me to...OMGOSH THAT WOULD BE CRAZY COOL! PLAYING IN AFRICA!!!!!!

While playing I noticed their style of play is different. There is less technique and strategy. The game is more about talent and brute force. Most women can't just play off of brute force...because well we don't have as much force as a male...my strategy has always been outrunning the other team...WHICH WAS A CHALLENGE...CONSIDERING HOW OUT OF SHAPE I AM RIGHT NOW! They communicate to each other through hisses and odd vocal sounds...very different than how Hendrix hockey team communicates with shouting...I felt VERY AMERICAN...shouting to let them know I was open.

There was something on the field I felt....that I never have before...a deep connection with the Ghanaians...we had something in common...they we both loved dearly: field hockey. Who knew that I would be able to play with them. Out of everything thus far...this is one of my favorite moments. My chance of connecting through athletes...without getting sick (like what happened while running).

I am going to the practice today and hopefully up until they leave for Nigeria. And then when they get back...maybe a tournament in May?

Another shout out to my hockey team back home...although I am missing the spring season and bonding...I will have hockey stories to tell when I get back! :)

Other than that I officially have had NO CLASSES THIS WEEK. But I have showed up to all of them just incase a professor decides to ignore the strike. Ohh Ghana...I love you dearly!

Yesterday was indeed a Aye kama kama kama pa pa pa pa pa day :) ( WONDERFUL FABULOUS DAY)

No comments:

Post a Comment