Introduction

Hi, my name is Kelly Rappé and I am journeying to the center on the earth.
Just kidding, I am going to Accra, Ghana to study abroad. I currently go to Hendrix College with an early childhood education major and a history minor.
My passions are sports (specifically Field Hockey and Track in college), traveling, reading, and discovering.
I am a Fort Collins, Colorado native and have enjoyed my time in the south thoroughly the past several years.
One of my best friends always says, "She's never afraid of going on another adventure."
Please check by biweekly to see how my experience abroad in Africa is.
I have only been abroad to Cuba, Canada, and Mexico, so this shall be a life changing experience.
I plan on reflecting, writing, posting pictures, and babbling about what is going on up in my noggin'. <3

Here is the clip for "A Whole New World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s
Kelly

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The STRIKE

Nothing says University of Ghana like a strike in March...oddly with being half way done with studying abroad here...comes the strike of the lecturers and professors on campus.
Below is a news article briefly talking about the strike.


http://www.africanews.com/site/Ghana_University_lecturers_to_strike/list_messages/34630

So far I haven't had ANY classes this week...but I have to show up to ALL of them in case one of the professors decide to show up.

The professors are on strike because they haven't been paid since last year. Since, in Ghana, everyone has to pay EVERYTHING with cash...not getting paid is a HUGE PROBLEM. If the strike continues for 18 more days...then the semester will end and the international students will be given separate exams to make sure we get the credits for our classes.

This situation is a bit chaotic and odd. There were two strikes earlier in the semester: one with the secretaries of different departments and another with the tec people of the college (the people that set up the power point stuff). Hopefully this strike will stop by next week...but who knows...this is a real TIA MOMENT FO SHOW!

Below are some pictures. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment