Introduction

Hi, my name is Kelly Rappé and I am journeying to the center on the earth.
Just kidding, I am going to Accra, Ghana to study abroad. I currently go to Hendrix College with an early childhood education major and a history minor.
My passions are sports (specifically Field Hockey and Track in college), traveling, reading, and discovering.
I am a Fort Collins, Colorado native and have enjoyed my time in the south thoroughly the past several years.
One of my best friends always says, "She's never afraid of going on another adventure."
Please check by biweekly to see how my experience abroad in Africa is.
I have only been abroad to Cuba, Canada, and Mexico, so this shall be a life changing experience.
I plan on reflecting, writing, posting pictures, and babbling about what is going on up in my noggin'. <3

Here is the clip for "A Whole New World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s
Kelly

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Finishing Strong




It seems crazy that I have less than three weeks left in Ghana.   Time flew on by so fast.  I can’t really process the fact that I have been here for almost 4 months!  This study abroad experience it hard…because just as you become comfortable with your environment, they pull you out (or you have to pull yourself out).

As I try to motivate myself to keep studying (which is REALLY HARD), I realize, it is almost done.  I am afraid and scared to say good-bye.  These are people I have learned to love and appreciate.  I have adjusted to the culture…I even crave fufu, which I did NOT enjoy in the beginning.

Looking back and understanding whether I met my goals:
Goals for going abroad:
* Embrace everything with enjoyment and really understand why I am there, to learn, not to save the world.

I think I did a fairly good job of doing this.  I tried to embrace every occasion.  When I was sick in the hospital I thought…hey it is a story to tell.  I still have a hard time wanting to save the world though.

* Connect with at least one Ghanaian on a deeper level

I have connected with my roommate on a deeper level.  We have had religious discussions…which is very deep for me!

* Learn how the education system works in Ghana

I have learned how crazy the education system is in Ghana.  It is sad to see kids caned (hit) and getting yelled at…but I also see the beauty and love all around.

* Learn how the political system works in Ghana.

I tried to learn this one…but it is a bit more confusing than I thought. (It is very similar to the USA)
* Learn what stereotypes I have developed about AFRICA and how most of the DO NOT APPLY TO GHANA.

Yes, this is very true.  I thought typical Africa would like up north in Ghana…and it is not all the same!

* Fill my time with people. I am an EXTREME EXTROVERT and people help me discover who I am in the situation and what it means to me.

Yes, I have learned to depend on other people through the thick and thin.  I have cried to various people and learned to support them.

* Learn not to judge situations in Ghana and understand TIA: This is Africa, a completely different world.

This was not easy at first, but no I can comfortably laugh at a situation and understand it is just different here.

* Understand what a third world country and what makes it that way and maybe they are living life better than we are. In Cuba I think their overall well-being, besides being trapped in the country, is happy and a community. Every corner we turned people knew each other and basked in that ideology.

Well…this one I am still working on…it takes years to understand this.

* How does Cuba compare to Ghana?

Similar in livelihood and energy, but different in their approaches to the environment and tourism.

·      What does education mean to Ghanaians?

It is very prized, just like the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment