Introduction

Hi, my name is Kelly Rappé and I am journeying to the center on the earth.
Just kidding, I am going to Accra, Ghana to study abroad. I currently go to Hendrix College with an early childhood education major and a history minor.
My passions are sports (specifically Field Hockey and Track in college), traveling, reading, and discovering.
I am a Fort Collins, Colorado native and have enjoyed my time in the south thoroughly the past several years.
One of my best friends always says, "She's never afraid of going on another adventure."
Please check by biweekly to see how my experience abroad in Africa is.
I have only been abroad to Cuba, Canada, and Mexico, so this shall be a life changing experience.
I plan on reflecting, writing, posting pictures, and babbling about what is going on up in my noggin'. <3

Here is the clip for "A Whole New World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s
Kelly

Thursday, May 31, 2012

The last couple of days in Ghana

Wednesday May 23...Emma Schmitt flies off leaving me with all the boys in ISEP to hang with...not a bad thing...but it is hard to see others leave before you do.  What was I going to do for the next four days?

I found myself hanging with my roommate and celebrating the spontaneous lifestyle that Ghana beholds.

I decided to get my hair braided one more time.  I loved walking around for my last week getting called 'Mama Africa'....hehehehehe.

My roommate connection:

My roommate and I went out to eat together.  We treated ourselves to Gelato, smoothies, and fufu in OSU.  It was wonderful to devote the time to hang with her.  Anita is an absolutely AMAZING PERSON.  I wrote her a letter when I departed thanking her for taking care of me and being a great support system...but honestly no thank you is enough to TRULY THANK HER!

We went to Abrui and biked through the Botanical Gardens.  This was my third time there...but honestly the most calmest time.  I didn't have little kids to worry about or entertain.  Granted I would LOVE TO HANG WITH THE KIDS AT MOP AT ANY TIME...but it was nice to bike around calmly and hang with Anita.

She took me to her house.  Her mother created a school some years ago.  It started out by her just taking care of a few kids...years later it turned into a private school.  This school gives free education for those that can't afford the tuition.  Yet another remarkable person...along with Renee and Kwame.  Her house was REALLY NICE.  It was a modest place...but FILLED WITH LOVE.  I could honestly understand why Anita is such a kind and understanding individual.


Along with fabulous roommate bonding I spent some quality time with a friend I acquired...Moses.  He is a man of energy.  We got connected with him through some ISEPers that were abroad for an ENTIRE year.  He invited us to his house and we got to shove our faces FULL OF FOOD.  Dancing, wine, onion rings, cookies, stir fry...PURE HEAVEN...and with some peace corps volunteers...WHICH MAKES ME THINK OF HEATHER NEWELL LOVE YOU...and ISEPers that were left.  I learned that no matter where I end up in this world...the act of making friends is possible.  I can indeed make a support system and get shown how to live life to the fullest.

On my last day....

Sunday May 27 I set off on a journey...a journey I thought I would never end up doing...BECAUSE 4 MONTHS IS TOO LONG TO WORRY ABOUT.

On this day I avoided acknowledging leaving people until it was last minute.  I walked around Madina market and soaked up ALL OF GHANA THAT I COULD.


No comments:

Post a Comment