Introduction

Hi, my name is Kelly Rappé and I am journeying to the center on the earth.
Just kidding, I am going to Accra, Ghana to study abroad. I currently go to Hendrix College with an early childhood education major and a history minor.
My passions are sports (specifically Field Hockey and Track in college), traveling, reading, and discovering.
I am a Fort Collins, Colorado native and have enjoyed my time in the south thoroughly the past several years.
One of my best friends always says, "She's never afraid of going on another adventure."
Please check by biweekly to see how my experience abroad in Africa is.
I have only been abroad to Cuba, Canada, and Mexico, so this shall be a life changing experience.
I plan on reflecting, writing, posting pictures, and babbling about what is going on up in my noggin'. <3

Here is the clip for "A Whole New World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s
Kelly

Friday, May 18, 2012

Lemonade Stand

When I was little, one of the things I looked forward to the most was selling lemonade in my neighborhood.  I remember convincing my mom to let me sell lemonade with my brother and sister and loving every second.  Granted, I only lasted an hour out there because it got boring quickly, but the experience with money and selling was important in understanding business and what being an entrepreneur is.  Later, I spent so much time at a neighbor's house--the Oliver's--where we played a store game.  We would round up as many things as we could find and sell them.  Some people sold newspapers and others sold random school supplies.  These days were so much fun because I thoroughly enjoyed making a "fake" profit and competing with others.

In Ghana there are little stores EVERYWHERE...and I mean everywhere, next to the hospital--three stores--next to my dorm--fifteen stores.  This market friendly environment is generally classified as a West African atmosphere.  Everywhere I go now, I can think back to my little entrepreneur experiences and relate to them...a little, but then I have a realization: these are their LIVELIHOODS.  They live off the profit they make daily, which leaves a standing impression on me.

My child's play growing up is the reality for so many Ghanaians and the sad thing is, many of these Ghanaians are children.

No comments:

Post a Comment