Introduction

Hi, my name is Kelly Rappé and I am journeying to the center on the earth.
Just kidding, I am going to Accra, Ghana to study abroad. I currently go to Hendrix College with an early childhood education major and a history minor.
My passions are sports (specifically Field Hockey and Track in college), traveling, reading, and discovering.
I am a Fort Collins, Colorado native and have enjoyed my time in the south thoroughly the past several years.
One of my best friends always says, "She's never afraid of going on another adventure."
Please check by biweekly to see how my experience abroad in Africa is.
I have only been abroad to Cuba, Canada, and Mexico, so this shall be a life changing experience.
I plan on reflecting, writing, posting pictures, and babbling about what is going on up in my noggin'. <3

Here is the clip for "A Whole New World"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s
Kelly

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Journey to the Other Side

Sunday May 27 I boarded the plane to the DC airport at 9:30pm.  Anxious to get the flight over with...but knowing ANY FLIGHT IS WAY MORE COMFORTABLE THAN A TRO-TRO RIDE.

The plane got delayed...we did not take off until 12...yes I spent 2:30 hours WAITING on a plane...before departing.

The flight home was HORRIBLE.  Needless to say I spent the majority of the time in the bathroom.  Gaining dirty looking from the flight attendants throughout the process.  The poor person sitting next to me was a bit annoyed...but hey you can't control your digestive system.  I thought it was either all the emotions and feeling building up...or some sort of Malaria or bacteria infection.  I was not able to eat anything on the flight back.  Too sick.

I got into DC on Monday May 28...happy Memorial day...and I was hit instantly.  The smell of fresh air, cleanness, WHITE PEOPLE, and professionalism with security.  I was indeed in America.  With the Accra plane leaving late...I only had a minimal time in DC to get to my gate...so time was rushed...SOMETHING I WAS NOT USED to in the last 4.5 months.  At security they TOOK MY BOW.  I brought a bow and arrows (the arrows were checked) for my brother Graduation present...he Graduated high school the past week (CONGRATS CHUCK) and I thought I could make it up to him by bringing that back.  Nope...they took it...even though I was going to gate check it.

I made it just in time to board my plane to Denver.  Oddly enough one of the passengers was a flight attendant from Accra...and she thought it was pretty neat we were on the same plane...CRAZY.  I fight for the next three hours wanting to just be there....I was in the window seat so I had to go out several times to relieve myself.

We landed in Denver around 10am and I was light headed.  Wilder (another ISEP kiddo that studied abroad) and I got some food because both of us were hungry at that point.  I then arrive passed the security and was reunited with my parentals!!!!!!

It was great to see them again.  I noticed how they have changed...little bits and pieces...just like each semester at college...and now they could see the big changes in me studying in Ghana.

I starred at the Rocky Mountains the ENTIRE WAY BACK.  It was glorious to see them snow capped and all.  This is why I love Colorado.  No matter where I go in the world I know I will be welcomed back by the mountains (like a loyal dog greeting you at the door, but it never dies).

I arrive home and am bombarded by choices.  I have more than one option for lunch...WHAT? WHAT IS THIS MADNESS?  I present gifts to my parents and brother.  I then go to my room and sleep for a couple of hours.

When I wake up I find a dinner of steak and baked potato waiting for me.  It was indeed HEAVEN.  There are things that bother me...materialism...materialism haunts me back in the states...but the food is oh so good.

The next day...

I drag myself out of bed and go to work...for LCYCC.  The day did not demand too much and when I get home I pass out after eating some food.  I end up waking up in the night sitting on the toilet...just like the flight home...except worse.

I needed to get some help.  The next morning I go to the doctors and find out I have had a bacteria infection for quiet some time...and I got A BUNCH OF PILLS TO TREAT IT...so no more work for the week...and bed bound.

The clinic was professional, clean, full of obrunis, and so many technological resources.  It was scary, but refreshing to know I was in good hands.

Thursday May 31 I find myself in bed...eating cereal and watching my favorite television show (Make it or Break it) in a room to myself.  Resting, recovering, and reorienting myself back to America.

No comments:

Post a Comment